May 8, 2012

Student's Summer Plans

As the school year comes to a close and summer begins, many of our students have exciting plans.  Our athletic training program is proud to announce seven of our students who will be working various internships over the summer.  Caitlyn McKinley and Jared Williams have been chosen to receive internships with LSU football and scholarships to attend summer classes. When asked about this internship, Jared said “I’m excited, anxious, and blessed to have the opportunity to further my development as a clinician working as a summer intern with LSU football. I cannot wait to start and rise to the occasion.”  Caitlyn commented that she is honored to “have been chosen for this internship position. I know this will help me further my athletic training knowledge to only become a better clinician in the future. I’m excited and ready to begin working and learning.” John McLaughlin and Jeremy Mayard, two student athletic trainers who both worked with the LSU football team this year, have received internships with the New Orleans Saints.  John will be working a mini camp in May and June and Jeremy will join the team for training camp at the end of July.  Eduardo Godoy, who is a first year athletic training student with the football team, will be working with the Arizona Cardinals for the month of July and through training camp. Eduardo is looking forward to the “opportunity to work training camp and pre season games because of the insight it will provide into the life of an athletic trainer in the NFL.”  Reese Shivers, who is currently working with women’s basketball, began an internship with an arena football team  (the New Orleans VooDoo) in March and will continue to work with them through the end of July. “Working with the New Orleans VooDoo has given me an amazing opportunity to grow as an athletic trainer. I have already been exposed to numerous injuries and am able to practice my communication and leadership skills in a professional setting. I have learned how to think on my feet and how to make use of the equipment and material that are given to me” said Shivers. Brandon Cobb, athletic training student for the men’s basketball team, will return as an intern to the New York Giants. For Brandon, this internship is “a great learning experience which helped me grow as an athletic trainer. I am very fortunate for them to have asked me back again this preseason.”  We are very proud of all of our student trainers and know that they will succeed in all of their endeavors.